The operator of our local GW store had this on his work bench when I stopped by last Friday. I figured I’d share it here to spread some filthy cheer. Continue reading
Today marks two months of operations here at the League of Underwhelming Miniature Painters. I hope we’re able to continue for many more months and years. I want to reflect briefly on what we’ve done in the past two months and where we’re headed. First, if you’re reading this, thank you for taking a few minutes to read our articles. I hope you get something out of them because without an audience we’re not accomplishing much. Second, we would appreciate any feedback you have. If there is something you want to see more of, or just see, please let us know and we’ll do what we can to bring you new content.
I’m not a huge fan of large metal models, especially with wings. So, when I decided to finally paint a Fateweaver model (I had proxied my Lord of Change for quite a long while) I opted for the Finecast. Not without problems, but I hoped it would be less prone to breaking.
Assembling plastic model is easy, right? Of course it is, but there is some science to the process that will help give you a better understanding of how plastic works and why you should or shouldn’t use the glue you are using.
In this installment of the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch build, eagle style, I continue constructing the model I started in part 1, here. When I left off the last article I was searching for a solution to my “wing problem.” I had acquired a metal set of folded wings from a Fateweaver model; however, their weight more than tripled the model’s total weight and I was less than comfortable with the spindly eagle legs’ ability to hold the weight of the wings aloft without long-term damage to the model itself. I stumbled across the Cockatrice model at the local GW store while looking for possible alternatives. A bit pricey (but not as much as Fateweaver or a Lord of Change) and I think I can use the rest of the bits for other conversions. The snake tail will make a good Slaanesh conversion and the head might work on another Tzeentch Soul Grinder. As it turns out, I like the half reptilian, half avian flair to the wings. They blend the daemon prince and eagle aesthetic nicely. Continue reading
My most recent painting project is one I’ve been eyeing for quite some time. Ultraforge makes an amazing model, the Pleasure Demon. It is a bit on the naughty side, but oh well. Puritanical Americans will need to get over it. I finally pulled the trigger on the model a few months ago and decided to start painting it after taking a class by Misterjustin a few weekends ago. The flesh is going to be a pinkish-purpleish color and I’m planning on blending the flesh to get the results I desire. Something tells me this will take far longer than I imagine.
This is the model after some mold line cleanup. Not too bad, but a bit more than I had hoped for. I also need to fill some bubbles on the underside of one thigh. Continue reading
I’ve been meaning to build another Daemon Prince to add to my Tzeentch themed Chaos Daemon/ Chaos Space Marine Army. I’ve seen a few conversions on the internets that use parts from the Island of Blood Griffon. The problem with them has been the wings. The Griffon wings just don’t work. I think I’ve got a solution to that problem, but it will have to wait for part 2.
Here is the progress I’ve made this weekend; play-by-play (since the 49ers have a bye week). I started by adding some green stuff to the inside of the back torso half. When I magnetized wings on my regular daemon prince I needed this mass to allow me to drill into the body. For this model I think I’m going to need the extra mass to anchor the wings I’m going to use.
I just finished a model for a local painting competition this weekend. A face-off of grand design, or least of models in power armor. While there will be plenty of other good entiries, I’m sure, Stephen and I have a side bet running between his Dark Angels Librarian and my Space Wolves Rune Priest. Finishing touches on the model for me included adding snow on the basing.
While I am not a lump and I do not imply my gamer or painter friends are either, many of us who enjoy sedentary hobbies do tend to fall into that category. I thought the name was funny, but conveyed the concept of what we’re doing here. The League of Underwhelming Miniature Painters is a community organization that my friend Stephen and I just formed with a few goals:
- Encourage miniature gamers to paint what they play
- Help people learn to paint (better)
- Give painters a forum for showing others their models and exchanging knowledge/ideas on how to achieve their results
In order to achieve these goals, LUMP:
- Encourages people to participate in game tournaments and other events that include painting as part of the overall experience.
- Hosts painting and modeling classes at local game shops.
- Provides people with a place to get daily painting news and share pictures of their work.
While we work to launch this site you can visit our Facebook page to find new and exciting content: