I find that I really enjoy painting larger models. They tend to be both a bit more forgiving technically and easier to work on. Once I “finished” the bloodthirster, I decided to take up a project that had been sitting on my shelf since Christmas of 2013. I’ve already brought the wings into the same color sequence as the body, but forgot to take a picture.
I’m taking a similar approach and starting from a black primer and base coat and building up the colors. I used the following colors in sequence:
- Citadel Black Primer
- VGA Hexed Lichen (on the bottoms of surfaces)
- VGA Imperial Blue
- VMA Signal Blue
- VMA French Blue
- VGA Electric Blue
- VGA Wolf Grey
Yes, that’s a lot of blues, but I find that the progressive color application gives a nice shading. I also chose to over exaggerate the colors. Painting instructors have always told me “more contrast” for miniature painting. I plan to apply a multi-tonal wash to the skin to add more depth of color, but it will also knock down the brightness a shade or two.
I decided to draw my color palette from this Lord of Change.