I try to play in at least one Warhammer 40K Apocalypse game each year, although I think I missed 2012. Olde World Gaming hosted a 40,000 point game this past weekend pitting the forces of Order (plus some daemons and Dark Eldar) against the forces of Awesome (Chaos/daemons/traitor guard, Tyranids and some Tau).
I like the rulebook; I picked up the iPad edition. It’s pretty easy to get through it when needed. The game was fun, and while our team won, the final score of 79 to 74 was essentially a tie. We got in 3 rounds in just under 7 hours and using the Exterminatus table helped clean up the game just before the 3rd round. Good fun had by all.
Here are some pictures of the board as we were getting started.
Here are the rest of the pictures that Keith took as promised last night. I really wish I had taken pictures because there we so many armies that were very nice looking. Out of 60 armies, 20 were selected by the judges for final scoring. I would say that there were probably 30 armies (or half the field) that could have made the final cut – Keith’s Tau included. Not having played at GTs outside the local area I’m not sure if this is normal, but we have a ton of excellent artists that make their way to Great Escape Games for large events.
Elizabeth Foster – 2013 Bay Area Open Champion
A few weeks back I posted up about an order from Fan Forge Products/Conversion Fan Boy, including a custom portalglyph. Well, with a Grand Tournament coming up this weekend, I finally slapped some paint on this bad boy.
You can see if he has any in stock here: http://conversionfanboy.blogspot.com/2013/04/fanboy-forge-products.html
I’m not a huge fan of large metal models, especially with wings. So, when I decided to finally paint a Fateweaver model (I had proxied my Lord of Change for quite a long while) I opted for the Finecast. Not without problems, but I hoped it would be less prone to breaking.
First off, this is MY rumor, based upon nothing other than wild speculation and while I’m probably wrong, it would be awesome if I’m right. I know nothing about what could be in such a book, but this is what I think SHOULD be in a proper Tzeentch supplement.
- All units must be marked or daemons of Tzeentch (or CSM vehicle units that cannot be marked).
- Daemonic instability rule is relaxed to allow cross joining of ICs and units between codices.
If we got NOTHING else, this would be freaking awesome!
In this installment of the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch build, eagle style, I continue constructing the model I started in part 1, here. When I left off the last article I was searching for a solution to my “wing problem.” I had acquired a metal set of folded wings from a Fateweaver model; however, their weight more than tripled the model’s total weight and I was less than comfortable with the spindly eagle legs’ ability to hold the weight of the wings aloft without long-term damage to the model itself. I stumbled across the Cockatrice model at the local GW store while looking for possible alternatives. A bit pricey (but not as much as Fateweaver or a Lord of Change) and I think I can use the rest of the bits for other conversions. The snake tail will make a good Slaanesh conversion and the head might work on another Tzeentch Soul Grinder. As it turns out, I like the half reptilian, half avian flair to the wings. They blend the daemon prince and eagle aesthetic nicely. Continue reading
My most recent painting project is one I’ve been eyeing for quite some time. Ultraforge makes an amazing model, the Pleasure Demon. It is a bit on the naughty side, but oh well. Puritanical Americans will need to get over it. I finally pulled the trigger on the model a few months ago and decided to start painting it after taking a class by Misterjustin a few weekends ago. The flesh is going to be a pinkish-purpleish color and I’m planning on blending the flesh to get the results I desire. Something tells me this will take far longer than I imagine.
This is the model after some mold line cleanup. Not too bad, but a bit more than I had hoped for. I also need to fill some bubbles on the underside of one thigh. Continue reading
I’ve been meaning to build another Daemon Prince to add to my Tzeentch themed Chaos Daemon/ Chaos Space Marine Army. I’ve seen a few conversions on the internets that use parts from the Island of Blood Griffon. The problem with them has been the wings. The Griffon wings just don’t work. I think I’ve got a solution to that problem, but it will have to wait for part 2.
Here is the progress I’ve made this weekend; play-by-play (since the 49ers have a bye week). I started by adding some green stuff to the inside of the back torso half. When I magnetized wings on my regular daemon prince I needed this mass to allow me to drill into the body. For this model I think I’m going to need the extra mass to anchor the wings I’m going to use.
I’m ashamed of the state of my work bench and my office, so there will be no picture this month. Hopefully I can clean things up a bit and shoot a picture of my setup next month.
I started using KanBanFlow to track my hobby, but since my Kan Ban board is in a pretty sorry state, I’ll just list my various projects here: