I spent a good part of the three day weekend assembling a Fire Raptor. It was a royal pain in the butt, but here it is; mostly assembled.
My current army has a paint scheme inspired by Erin Morgenstern’s, ‘The Night Circus’. It’s a wonderful novel in the fantasy genre with some of the best imagery that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. For anyone who hasn’t heard of ‘The Night Circus’, the style for the army is very close to a Frank Miller graphic novel, like ‘Sin City’. The style is monochromatic with just a few hints of red.
GW released a minor FAQ today for the Space Marines codex, here.
It consists of replace the words “area terrain” with “battlefield terrain” for the Scout cluster mines.
Wow, it’s been a few months since I’ve been able to write an update. My apologies. My wife and I took a trip to the east coast, I finished out one job and then I changed jobs about 6 weeks ago. The last two months have been a whirlwind. I played about 5 games in all this time, 3 of which were a team tournament; more on that later. I guess, then, it was unavoidable that I got sick last week. Turns out it was a good stimulus for my hobbying.
I try to play in at least one Warhammer 40K Apocalypse game each year, although I think I missed 2012. Olde World Gaming hosted a 40,000 point game this past weekend pitting the forces of Order (plus some daemons and Dark Eldar) against the forces of Awesome (Chaos/daemons/traitor guard, Tyranids and some Tau).
I like the rulebook; I picked up the iPad edition. It’s pretty easy to get through it when needed. The game was fun, and while our team won, the final score of 79 to 74 was essentially a tie. We got in 3 rounds in just under 7 hours and using the Exterminatus table helped clean up the game just before the 3rd round. Good fun had by all.
Here are some pictures of the board as we were getting started.
Here are the rest of the pictures that Keith took as promised last night. I really wish I had taken pictures because there we so many armies that were very nice looking. Out of 60 armies, 20 were selected by the judges for final scoring. I would say that there were probably 30 armies (or half the field) that could have made the final cut – Keith’s Tau included. Not having played at GTs outside the local area I’m not sure if this is normal, but we have a ton of excellent artists that make their way to Great Escape Games for large events.
Elizabeth Foster – 2013 Bay Area Open Champion
A bit of a detour from painting and modelling, but my other love is competitive Warhammer 40K. I’m lucky enough to have both a small local store where I run 40K leagues once or twice a year and also within about a 20 minute drive from a very large store, Great Escape Games, who hosts two amazing events in alternating months, so you can play in a tournament every month of the year. Those two events are the Contest of Champions, an escalation tournament that takes place on 6 Saturdays throughout the year, the first 3 round event starts at 1250 points in January and every 2 months another 3 round tournament takes place at 250 point increments. I’ve played in these events for the past 2 year now.
First off, this is MY rumor, based upon nothing other than wild speculation and while I’m probably wrong, it would be awesome if I’m right. I know nothing about what could be in such a book, but this is what I think SHOULD be in a proper Tzeentch supplement.
- All units must be marked or daemons of Tzeentch (or CSM vehicle units that cannot be marked).
- Daemonic instability rule is relaxed to allow cross joining of ICs and units between codices.
If we got NOTHING else, this would be freaking awesome!
I’ve been meaning to build another Daemon Prince to add to my Tzeentch themed Chaos Daemon/ Chaos Space Marine Army. I’ve seen a few conversions on the internets that use parts from the Island of Blood Griffon. The problem with them has been the wings. The Griffon wings just don’t work. I think I’ve got a solution to that problem, but it will have to wait for part 2.
Here is the progress I’ve made this weekend; play-by-play (since the 49ers have a bye week). I started by adding some green stuff to the inside of the back torso half. When I magnetized wings on my regular daemon prince I needed this mass to allow me to drill into the body. For this model I think I’m going to need the extra mass to anchor the wings I’m going to use.
I’ve been sitting on a Heldrake since not long after the Chaos Space Marine codex was released earlier this year. Regardless of the model’s rules I find it to be a very cool model. However, the slightly overpowered nature of the rules kept me from painting it as I hate to be seen as a band-wagon jumper. I’d rather be a post-hipster playing models that used to be cool but are not any longer… 😉
The various parts for this model sat in pieces staring at me for a few months before I decided to get to it. Based upon my painting goals I decided to prime black and work up from there. I was inspired by a tutorial on YouTube by BuyPainted. I basically copied his technique, but changed out the colors.