This coming weekend I will get to use my Daemon Lord of Tzeentch for the second time in the 2.5 years I’ve had it. The first time was an apocalypse game and it was primers white.
When I last posted anything, I had put a simple base coat on the model when IA13 was released and made it unplayable in any games but apocalypse.
actinic lights anyone?
My latest project has garnered me a lot of positive feedback. I teased a picture of “George” in my army picture a few weeks ago. I’m just getting to the quick and dirty tutorial for those that are interested in the colors and techniques used.
I find that I really enjoy painting larger models. They tend to be both a bit more forgiving technically and easier to work on. Once I “finished” the bloodthirster, I decided to take up a project that had been sitting on my shelf since Christmas of 2013. I’ve already brought the wings into the same color sequence as the body, but forgot to take a picture.
I’m not a huge fan of large metal models, especially with wings. So, when I decided to finally paint a Fateweaver model (I had proxied my Lord of Change for quite a long while) I opted for the Finecast. Not without problems, but I hoped it would be less prone to breaking.
In this installment of the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch build, eagle style, I continue constructing the model I started in part 1, here. When I left off the last article I was searching for a solution to my “wing problem.” I had acquired a metal set of folded wings from a Fateweaver model; however, their weight more than tripled the model’s total weight and I was less than comfortable with the spindly eagle legs’ ability to hold the weight of the wings aloft without long-term damage to the model itself. I stumbled across the Cockatrice model at the local GW store while looking for possible alternatives. A bit pricey (but not as much as Fateweaver or a Lord of Change) and I think I can use the rest of the bits for other conversions. The snake tail will make a good Slaanesh conversion and the head might work on another Tzeentch Soul Grinder. As it turns out, I like the half reptilian, half avian flair to the wings. They blend the daemon prince and eagle aesthetic nicely. Continue reading
My most recent painting project is one I’ve been eyeing for quite some time. Ultraforge makes an amazing model, the Pleasure Demon. It is a bit on the naughty side, but oh well. Puritanical Americans will need to get over it. I finally pulled the trigger on the model a few months ago and decided to start painting it after taking a class by Misterjustin a few weekends ago. The flesh is going to be a pinkish-purpleish color and I’m planning on blending the flesh to get the results I desire. Something tells me this will take far longer than I imagine.
This is the model after some mold line cleanup. Not too bad, but a bit more than I had hoped for. I also need to fill some bubbles on the underside of one thigh. Continue reading
I’ve been meaning to build another Daemon Prince to add to my Tzeentch themed Chaos Daemon/ Chaos Space Marine Army. I’ve seen a few conversions on the internets that use parts from the Island of Blood Griffon. The problem with them has been the wings. The Griffon wings just don’t work. I think I’ve got a solution to that problem, but it will have to wait for part 2.
Here is the progress I’ve made this weekend; play-by-play (since the 49ers have a bye week). I started by adding some green stuff to the inside of the back torso half. When I magnetized wings on my regular daemon prince I needed this mass to allow me to drill into the body. For this model I think I’m going to need the extra mass to anchor the wings I’m going to use.
I purchased this Ork Squiggoth back in 2007 at Gamesday Chicago. I got it out as soon as I got back home to start modeling and playing with it for the casual games with friends. I even picked up the imperial armour update that it was included in at something like $25 for a book for the rules for a single model. Needless to say I was in love with the model, or at least the idea of owning a painted ork squiggoth. Then reality set in and I realized what a beast of a time I was going to have getting the sucker painted up for playing with, so back in the box she went; for six and a half long years.